Saturday, January 3, 2009

God's Canvas







"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life." Rachel Carson (1907-64)

I've never spent a lot of time hiking, but I've always loved the outdoors. I do recall walking through a park in Rochester, MN, the day my grandfather died. It was a beautiful fall day, and in a way I think that time alone with nature helped me accept my loss. I still hold the memory in my heart after over 25 years.

I have spent time on public land in northern MN, actually walking along with camera in hand as my ex husband hunted grouse. We did a lot of walking the few years that I accompanied him. The quiet of the woods is healing. We would go in the fall when the color of the leaves was almost at it's peak. Birch trees would be shedding their bark and what was underneath was a soft, grayish pink color that almost made them appear vulnerable. Much of the time we could only hear the sounds of our footsteps, birds calling and the moaning of trees as their branches played like violins.




I've seen absolutely beautiful country in Canada, Minnesota, South Dakota, Utah and Colorado but much of it was seen from the seat of a motorcycle. There is nothing like walking through the woods, breathing the fresh air and noticing the amazing beauty of God's detailed work. I can stare in awe at the twists and turns of the bark on a tree. There are ways sunlight can strike a patch of ferns that make their plumes just shimmer. I love looking for tiny saplings, knowing that the ones who survive are the future of the forest. From the road you might see flashes of color as you pass by flowers in the ditch, but when you are walking you begin to realize how many different varieties there really are. Have you ever seen the beauty of silky green moss growing on a tree or a stone?

The mountains and rock formations have their own inspiring beauty. Canyons go on forever and God's palette of color was not wasted on birds and flowers, he enjoyed stroking his hues on the stone as well.

This past summer I spent several days with my younger sister and two of her friends hiking near Duluth, MN. It was outing the three had shared before, and this time they'd invited me to join them. I knew when the invitation came that the trip would mean valuable time with my sister, and the thought of walking trails and being that close to nature again enticed me. The pictures I am sharing are from that trip.

The weekend ended much too quickly. There is definitely something therapeutic about being away from the city. In the city you can feel alone among thousands of people. In nature you can feel connected in solitary.

I just stepped outside for a moment with my dog and stood to stare at what appeared to be almost a full moon creating a glow behind a large cloud. The rest of the dark sky was spotted with a million stars. I would have missed it if my dog had not been prodding me for one last trip outside before bed. There is beauty in the city, too, if you slow down enough to let it soak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment