Saturday, January 3, 2009

Packing up a life..


written 9-24-08



For a number of weeks, on and off, I've been packing for a move that is going to happen on Friday. I can easily count at least 18 times I have moved in my lifetime. I'd moved a couple of times before my parents divorced in 1980, then school, 2 marriages, 2 divorces and a lot of little moves in between. Each time I've moved more stuff. The longer I live, the more stuff I have.

I've been sorting, filtering, purging, packing and I'm pooped. I'm almost done except for toiletries, cleaning supplies and the computer (can't give that up too quickly!). I've donated items, given a few things away, and filled up my garbage can several times. It's still hard to believe how many boxes I have!

It's strange to look around and not see my stuff. I find I miss the pictures of family and loved ones most. They stayed out until today. My curio is emptied of heirloom dishes from grandparents and great grandparents' lives. I don't read nearly enough, but I like having my favorite books visible.

Albeit for a few select pairs my shoes are packed. There are just a couple of pieces of clothing hanging in my closet...everything else is packed or folded and ready for a suitcase. My 2 living room lamps are packed, and without a ceiling light here I just have the glow of the screen to see by.

My glasses, plates and silverware are packed. Every cupboard is empty. I'm living on protein bars, raisins and cashews and cereal from a Styrofoam cup. Close to my normal diet, but I miss milk and don't want to buy any. I have a ripe banana that will last me two mornings.

So here I sit in the near dark. Almost ready for my impending move. Not nearly as nervous as I'd expected to be right now. Nervous you say, about a move? Oooops. Forgot to mention I just quit my job of 23+ years. My home I've lived in less than a year is up for sale. The moving van is coming Friday morning to gather my things to bring them to TX. I pick up my husband-to-be at the airport Friday evening. I get married on Saturday (3rd time is the charm) and then I leave my family, friends and the state I've lived in all of my life. I and my new husband drive to TX to begin married life by generator. Possibly. I'm moving to Houston just after hurricane Ike passed through. I have no children of my own and now will be a stepmother to 3 and 5 year old boys.

No, not nervous. This afternoon was a little hairy after I found out the moving company was coming later than expected (Friday evening!), but that's been taken care of now. Not nervous. Very happy. I can't think of a better way to describe myself. Very happy. I am very much in love or I would be terrified. It all just feels right. I will fly home to visit and the internet is wonderful for communicating long distance. I will be fine and I will be happy. Very happy.

Off to pack a little more. My smile gets bigger as I think about my future and what I've coined as my adventure. It's a wonderful new beginning and I'm more than ready to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment