Saturday, January 3, 2009

Huggers

My family proudly boasts of being a family of "huggers". No, not tree huggers, but I don't think any of us intentionally litter and we do recycle...small steps. I mean the kind where a handshake might get you in, but be prepared for a bit more when you exit.

We aren't pushy, we will ask for permission. It's not like us to frighten those that did not grow up in the "hugger" atmosphere. Some people are just less fortunate.

My mom ranks up there with the best of the huggers. She's always up for a good squeeze. My 2 sisters and I have become closer with age, and a hug at almost any given moment seems natural and welcome. I have a brother-in-law whom I would consider my hug therapist. I wish I could bottle a few so I'd have some for emergencies between visits.

A while back I was walking into work and a gal who worked in my department was leaving the building as I was arriving for work. I could see in her expression that there was something wrong. I approached her and asked if she was okay. She told me she had just received a call that a very good friend of hers had died in a car accident a couple of nights before. I did not know her well personally, but I reached to put my arms around her. She melted into me and her shoulders heaved as she sobbed. It felt like a very long time, but I would guess we stood there in the parking lot for only a few minutes. I could feel when she began to regain her strength and she slowly released me. She thanked me for being there and I told her to take care and drive carefully. We never spoke of it again, but I know there was a reason I happened to be walking in the building just as she was leaving. She needed me.

Hugging is not for everyone. Sometimes a wink, a smile or a touch will do. Sometimes words suffice. Hugs bring me comfort. Sometimes they are an expression of love, but oftentimes understanding, compassion, concern or even solidarity. Sometimes they are warm and genuine. Sometimes they are awkward but well intentioned. Sometimes they bring joy. Sometimes they invite tears to flow. Sometimes they can heal.

Like I said, hugs aren't for everyone. Some people cringe at the thought. I just can't help but think, though, that they are really missing out on something very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment