Saturday, January 3, 2009

Naked Trees

I've been told that as you age you notice and appreciate things that never really caught your eye before. I notice trees. I'm in a state where most of our trees are naked a good part of the year. You'd think they all just passed on at the same time. No leaves. Brown. Lifeless, it seems.



For some reason about 5 years ago I began to appreciate this time of year. When trees are "naked" you see how special they really are. They all have their own personalities. Some spread wide and their branches dip, almost as if they are considering touching the ground, and then they curve again gently towards the sun. Some reach so tall you cannot help be in awe by how close to the clouds they seem to climb.

I'm not really sure what I'm getting at here. I suppose just that I think trees are beautiful even without their green leaves and flowers and fruit. The twists and turns of their limbs. The textures of their bark. The way they bend with the wind. The moaning sound they make in a storm. Their strength.

It's the time of year in Minnesota when within days it seems the branches are covered. Tiny buds start to flourish and turn in to the tiniest, sweetest leaves. Before you know it the trees are full, the grass is green and the flowers are blooming everywhere. Three weeks ago the trees looked dead, the grass was brown and I thought the cold season would never end. I enjoy watching everything come to life in the spring, but it's nice that as long as winter is here I can find beauty between the fall colors and the renewal spring brings.

Walk slowly and pay attention as you travel through this life, there is a lot of beauty on earth that you will miss if you are always in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment