Saturday, January 3, 2009

Rocky Mountain High

Several nights ago my husband and I were watching TV and happened to come upon a John Denver special on public TV. If you enjoyed ANY of John Denver's music I urge you to try to catch this show in your area. It is called "John Denver: A Song's Best Friend".

Sunshine On My Shoulders brought back memories of my father's cousin (known and loved as my Uncle Doug) singing with his guitar when I was probably in my early teens. Poor fellow was begged to sing that song everytime he came to visit, along with a tune he wrote for is daughter which I can only remember bits and pieces of now.

I'm guessing that Grandma's Feather Bed was one of the first songs from the radio that I learned all of the words to; it was such fun to sing with my sisters. I remember belting out other tunes like Thank God I'm a Country Boy, Rocky Mountain High, Mr Bojangles, Take Me Home Country Roads and The Eagle and the Hawk.

Watching the special brought back a flood of memories of my uncle, my family, growing up on a farm....and even the beauty I've been privileged to see as I've traveled throughout Minnesota, the Dakotas, Colorado and Utah. What a gift John had of putting the simpliest phrases together to create a picture in your mind, or a mood in your heart.

The sincerity eminated from him when he sang...and he reached so many all over the world with his ballads.

I think what touched me most during the special was watching John sing the songs that meant so much to him, learning what inspired many of the words, and seeing the beauty of nature that he loved in video and pictures.

Something else that stuck me was songs that I merely thought were pretty as a teenager now brought tears to my eyes. The lessons of love, loss, faith, loneliness and hope that can only come through experiencing life through the years have changed me. I would call it a benefit of getting older. It was like I was hearing songs for the first time that I know I heard and sang over and over again years ago. Fly Away,Poems and Prayers and Promises, and My Sweet Lady are a few of those songs. Annie's Song describes how I think everyone would dream to love and be loved at least once in their lifetime.

A song less familiar seemed to reach out to me, so following the broadcast I searched for the lyrics. They are posted below. What an expressive song of faith, strength and hope for the future.

I believe God can be many things to many people, and I do not pretend to have all (or any) of the answers. My prayer is that people find a spirit within them that gives them that feeling of being complete. My God does that for me. Without that connection there is a void that nothing I can do or be or try to become will ever fill. When I feel lost it is because I am farther from God, though he is always waiting patiently for my return. They have no way of understanding it, but I think that children carry God within their heart like many adults never learn to do because they are still innocent and haven't yet learned not to trust.....

Rhymes And Reasons
So you speak to me of sadness
And the coming of the winter
Fear that is within you now
It seems to never end
And the dreams that have escaped you
And the hope that you've forgotten
You tell me that you need me now
You want to be my friend

And you wonder where we're going
Where's the rhyme and where's the reason
And it's you cannot accept
It is here we must begin
To seek the wisdom of the children
And the graceful way of flowers in the wind

For the children and the flowers
Are my sisters and my brothers
Their laughter and their loveliness
Could clear a cloudy day

Like the music of the mountains
And the colours of the rainbow
They're a promise of the future
And a blessing for today
Though the cities start to crumble
And the towers fall around us
The sun is slowly fading
And it's colder than the sea

It is written from the desert
To the mountains they shall lead us
By the hand and by the heart
They will comfort you and me
In their innocence and trusting
They will teach us to be free

For the children and the flowers
Are my sisters and my brothers
Their laughter and their loveliness
Could clear a cloudy day

And the song that I am singing
Is a prayer to non believers
Come and stand beside us
We can find a better way

2 comments:

  1. John wrote this in 1969, he said he wrote it in the shower. The verse Though the cities start to crumble and the towers fall around us... Does this not remind us of September 11,2001 in Manhattan NYC.

    I take Great comfort from the words of the late poet Mattie J. T. Stepanek Who wrote For Our World as a result of that horrific Day... A child shall lead them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. John wrote this in 1969, he said he wrote it in the shower. The verse Though the cities start to crumble and the towers fall around us... Does this not remind us of September 11,2001 in Manhattan NYC.

    I take Great comfort from the words of the late poet Mattie J. T. Stepanek Who wrote For Our World as a result of that horrific Day... A child shall lead them...

    ReplyDelete