Monday, February 9, 2009

Australia's wildfires


Photo taken by Rick Rycroft/Pool via AP


I seldom find myself drawn to talking about news stories or politics, but today I found myself lured in by pictures of fires currently burning out of control in Australia. Pictured here are the charred remains of a church called St Andrew's outside of the community of Kinglake.


News today speaks hundreds of wildfires that have been burning in up to 117 F degree heat, with extremely low humidity and 50 mph wind gusts. Apparently Australia is very prone to wildfires this time of year, and in these conditions they are extremely difficult to battle. The article notes much of Australia's vegetation, such as gum and eucalyptus trees, contain flammable aromatic oils that are also feeding the flames.


As you glance through the pictures of the devastation you see the heartbroken faces of people who have lost family members. Some have lost everything they own. Many lost their lives. Today the toll has reached close to 200, and the numbers are expected to rise. Flames spread so quickly that some of the victims were burned in their cars or on roadsides trying to escape the flames' fury.


Now, add to all of this that authorities believe many of the 400 fires that have burned in the past few weeks have been arson....and it leaves me feeling an emptiness that is difficult to describe. How can any human being find joy or satisfaction in destroying nature, homes, livelihoods and families. There are natural disasters. They are a part of the world we live in. Perpetrators, if they find them, will likely be charged with murder. I hope they are not young children or teens that did not realize what the ramifications of their actions could be. How can you live with taking so much away from so many?


Tonight I pray for those that have died, those who loved them and those who will have to struggle to rebuild. I'm not sure if I can find myself praying for those who are responsible for some of the fires... yet I feel that they may need love, and forgiveness, as well.

1 comment:

  1. You make the point that empathy doesn't pick sides, yet recognizes the morality in immorality in actions. Empathy used to confuse me, I worried about the concept of loving without judgment and forgiveness for unforgivable wrongs. I think I confused the issue because of all the hierocracy inherent in institutionalized religion--so little showing me, so much telling me.

    I'm happy to have found another kindred spirit.
    Inspired by inspired

    ReplyDelete