Monday, February 16, 2009

Faith















“For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7”





I walked up to this statue and felt as if it was looking through to my soul. The stone held eyes of kindness. His hands, outstretched to welcome me to this sacred place, were worn and missing fingers. I felt a warmth as I walked nearer to him. I'd walked a new route on this day, and I feel there was a reason I found this place. I sat on one of the benches surrounding him and cried as I prayed.

I believe in God, but I do not quiet my mind often enough in prayer or meditation. There are times, though, that I feel him. I knelt in a chapel days ago, with my hands palms upward and my arms outstretched. It felt as if he touched my fingertips and flowed through my veins. How to describe such a feeling of love, peace, forgiveness.... for a moment I felt whole as I am. Tears came again. Many days I feel like there are so many pieces missing.


I met a woman recently who is recuperating from a kidney transplant. She is a patient at a hospital where I currently volunteer a couple days a week. The first day I met her I almost
passed by her room. The curtains were pulled and there was only a bit of daylight peering from beyond them. The door was ajar, but her eyes were closed and she looked as if in a peaceful dream. As I was about to walk past her doorway (I try not to awake the resting), I heard her sweet voice invite me in to sit with her. She informed me that she had been meditating.

Her sweet, round, dark face had the glow that drew me in. She was blessed. She believed.
She talked to me about her quiet moments with God. She has learned how to silence the world around her, and the busy thoughts that can keep God's comfort from finding you. I could see her faith in her eyes and I could hear it in her voice. She had no fear. It was her that led me to that chapel in the hospital, though she will probably never know.

And with my hands outstretched I will pray... and try to find my peace.






1 comment:

  1. How unexpectedly a moment can arise where Jesus touches us through others, or visa versa. Spiritual vessels with human frailties, God has chosen us and reveals Himself through simple moments and creation. Such can only be appreciated, or received, if one recognizes the attempt to communicate. You do, and that is so precious!

    ReplyDelete